Thursday, January 10, 2019

Music and Art Galore







Music-

   Outer-
     The music of this city was amazing. Each and every day there was something new to listen to. I could have listened to it all day long. I loved to watch and listen to the street performers, as well as the bands in any of the local establishments. I heard some classical music. I woman was playing the violin. There was also a man playing the according with her. The violin is one of my favorite instruments. Listening to her play was amazing. It wasn't an instrument or sound that I commonly heard in New Orleans. The streets were filled with all types of music. Classical, jazz, blues, pop, and brass jazz. I even saw a man playing the harmonica. I was fascinated by it. He was playing "Memory" from the play/musical Cats. It is such a beautiful song already. To hear him play it on the harmonica was interesting and beautiful. I didn't think it would sound right had someone told me about it. It was just the right combination of beautiful, sad, and interesting. There were also two gentleman who played by the riverfront. I was walking back to the hotel with Kate, Lindsey, and Rachael one evening when they were playing. They had a unique sound that I can't really describe. I loved listening to it. It wasn't quite jazz or blues. I don't know how to describe it really. But their sound was amazing and you could tell they loved what they were doing. It made me happy to watch and listen to them. Especially when you could tell how much they loved it. They put their soul and emotions into the music.
   Inner-
     The city spoke to me through its music in a few ways. I have always loved music. Whenever I am having a rough day, a good day, or anything in between, music has always made my day better. I used to play the flute. I played the piano and took guitar lessons. I listen to everything from Mozart to Metallica. So all of the music that I was able to listen to while on the trip was wonderful. Hands down any day I would rather listen to music than to watch TV. I never really felt anxious whenever the music started playing. I usually get nervous or anxious in large crowds because I can't watch everyone. The music, I was able to focus on that. It was soothing at times, and fun to listen to. There was always something new to listen to. Each group or individual had their own unique sound. It was very refreshing. Rather than hearing the same thing over and over, it was all different. Some were original works. Some were covers, and each one was lovely to listen to! There was even some creepy or etherial type music during the parade. I loved that. I especially loved hearing the bagpipes too. But at the same time it made me a little sad. It reminded me of my grandpa's funeral. He was a wonderful man. It was happy and sad at the same time. It reminded me of the really good times we had together. I love the sound of bagpipes. I was happy to hear it. It was a much needed "vacation" and being reminded of my grandpa made it even better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment