Monday, January 7, 2019

I'm living my best life



Outer Journey-
   
 I love New Orleans. The people here are wonderful. One of my favorite things about this city in addition to its rich history, is the fact that people wear whatever they want. They don't care what others think and I think that is wonderful. As always, I took a whole bunch of pictures to look back on to relive the experience all over again. I learned some really cool things at the Cabildo and the Presbytere, as well as on the Haunted History Tour. There is just so much to do here that each and every day we can do something different and you never get bored. The Hurricane Katrina exhibit was very eye opening for me. I liked that more than the Mardi Gras one. I thought I knew a decent amount about the hurricane but I quickly learned how wrong I was. Knowing that the nurses at the hospital had to leave patients behind upset me so much. I knew how I felt, so I cannot imagine how they must have felt and how absolutely heart breaking that had to have been.  The damage that was done blew my mind. Seeing the pictures and videos gave me goosebumps. The winds reached up to 165 mph. The video of the the storm and aftermath was scarier than anything I had seen or heard about the storm previously. I saw the diary entries that a man wrote on his apartment walls, he wasn't able to leave the city. I mean, how scary was that? I can't wrap my head around it and how scary that had to be. I thought it was wonderful though how the city came together. People volunteered and work together to bring the city back together as well as start piecing their lives back together. It was hard to hear about all of the terrible incidences that happened as well. It goes to show how humans are. There are those who are here to help and rise above the disasters. Then there are those who take advantage of disasters and steal or break into homes. I am appreciative of all the experiences I've had,  and all of the things I have learned while here. I want to come back and experience the sights, sounds, and adventures all over again. The haunted history tour that we went on blew my mind. That was one of my most favorite experiences that I have had. I have always been very interested in learning about history. I have read a lot about Marie Laveau and Madam Delphine LaLaurie, and the things I learned on the tour yesterday I had never heard before. I knew that Delphine had done terrible things to her slaves, but the things that we were told made my stomach churn. I won't go into detail as to what happened to those poor people, but there are plenty of resources out there for us to read. I will say though that you will probably need a strong stomach, and it is something that will upset you. I know how I felt after hearing about it. It made me angry to know that a person is capable of such crap. The tour was amazing, and I enjoyed it so much that I would go on it multiple times. I would probably learn things that I didn't hear the first time. I love that type of stuff so I was thrilled to be able to go on the tour.

Inner Journey-
     The city has the most amazing people here. As I talked about earlier I think it's wonderful how the people of New Orleans came together to help build the city once again. It shows that there are still good people left in this world. There is so much culture here. So much history that it just continues to fascinate me. The history is really what interests me the most. All of the ghost stories and legends get me excited! Even when some of the legends about vampires are based on the harsh reality of things that happened. Young girls being whisked away on a boat to come here were locked up. When they arrived, they didn't look frail and beautiful. They looked almost transparent and ghostly. So, it's no wonder why some people way back when seemed to think that vampires had a part to play in it. Or that instead of admitting that their daughter ran away, they claimed that a vampire whisked them away. All of the legends and myths surrounding this vibrant city are interesting and exciting to me! I could go on and on about all of the things that I have learned and found interesting. I want to go stay in one of the haunted hotels here and see if I can experience something myself. But at the same time, I'm not about to taunt the voodoo and have something follow me around forever. I believe in that stuff. So I am not about to try and piss of an ancestor, or play with an ouija board. No sir, no way.


No comments:

Post a Comment